Introduction and Background InformationUrology is surgical specialty department which deals with diseases of the male and female urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra). Furthermore, it deals with diseases involving the male reproductive system (penis, testes, scrotum, epididymis seminal vesicles and prostate) such as male infertility, testicular tumor, penile tumor etc.
It is situated at the top of the pathology department at KCMC. It has three operating theatres, two major, one minor, a clinic and wards for 38 patients.
The department is not working in isolation. We have collaboration with Urolink and British Association Urology Society (BAUS). The department get supports of equipment and professional experience from various countries within the collaboration. Dr Jack Bogdanowicz Is one of visiting urologists at the department through collaboration.
- Pediatric urology surgeries such as Hypospadias repair, orchidopexy, Posterior urethral valve ablation, genital reconstruction for children with disorders of sexual development.
- Lower urinary tract endoscopic procedures such as Transurethral resection of prostate, Transurethral incision of prostate, Transurethral resection of bladder tumor/biopsy, and urethrocystoscopy.
- Urinary calculi treatment such as cystolitholapaxy, ureterorenoscopy, endoscopic stone removal in the ureter, nephrolithotomy, pyelolithotomy, ureter lithotomy, cystolithotomy and urethrolithotomy.
- Urologic Oncology surgeries such as Radical cystectomy and urine diversion, radical nephrectomy, radical prostatectomies, radical orchidectomy etc.
- Reconstructive urology procedures such as urethroplasty and genitoplasty surgeries.
- Female urology procedures such as fistula repair and anterior colporrhaphy.
Despite provide treatment and care of patients, urology department at KCMC is also a center for training of Urology from students in different parts of Africa. It receives students from different countries such as Ethiopia, Namibia, Uganda, Kenya, Namibia and Rwanda. Each year Intensive Interactive workshops are conducted for different urology disciplines with different visiting urologists from overseas such as Transurethral resection, reconstructive urology and stone management workshops.
Furthermore, JL Eshleman workshop is conducted biannually whereby several experts and resident students from Europe and Africa attends to share and exchange knowledge and skills on different urological procedures.