Introduction and Background InformationThe Department of Pathology is located on the underground floor of the main hospital building. The Department has four working Units, namely; Histopathology, Cytology, Mortuary and Cancer registry Units. Pathology Department provides highly specialized diagnostic services to KCMC and other neighbouring hospitals within and outside the region.
- Routine histopathology.
- Immunohistochemistry for various disease characterization and prognostication.
- Histo-chemical (special staining) testing for various disease confirmations.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC).
- Effusion fluid cytology.
- Cervical PAP smear analysis.
- Seminal fluid analysis.
- Postmortem examination services, both medico-legal and clinical.
- Expert consultation and second opinion.
- Embalming as well as body storage services.
- Clinical research.
- Teaching and supervising medical and paramedical students.
Pathology Department has a strong collaboration with Nijmegen University of The Netherlands, American Society for Clinical Pathology and Duke University of the USA whereby senior pathologists have been regularly visiting the KCMC and provide consultation services. The Department is equipped with modern Telepathology platform facility that allows external expert consultations, continuous remote education, quality assessment and research.